Friday, June 28, 2013

JBLM


I've been on quite a few armed force bases  in the past year
  • Camp Pendleton, CA
  • Fort Irwin, CA
  • LA Air Force Base, CA
  • JBLM, WA
  • Fort Lee, VA
  • Fort Bragg, NC
JBLM = Joint Base Lewis McChord. And that's the base I'm closest to. So in its honor, some pictures I have:

This used to be the main entrance, before the need for a multiple lane entry. Behind is the entrance to JBLM Main. Exit 120 off of the I-5 takes you to JBLM. If you don't have a military ID or a guest pass, or JBLM means nothing to you, you took the wrong exit.

One of the many things I see/hear daily, even when I'm not on base. I believe this to be a Boeing CH-47 Chinook. I will verify with my sources.

One of the views on base. When it's nice in WA, it's gorgeous!

Some JBLM administrative buildings. Look at that sky!

Streets on base.

Deers on base! You can't hunt them and are even allowed to feed them.

We saw a family of 3 attempt to cross a busy street, right before exiting JBLM North. Well the mom and child were the bravest. The father stayed behind. Below, a video of the two crossing a second intersection!



Living near a base and spending time on one includes:
  • uniformed men and women 24/7. They walk, they work out, they pump gas, they buy groceries for their families. In uniform.
  • seeing license plates from Alaska! So far I have seen license plates from 29 of our 50 states. I thought I would never see a car from Hawaii, but I did! Some of the most common plates include Washington's neighbors: Idaho and Oregon. Texas is extremely common too! I'm told Rhode Island will be a difficult state to spot, due to it's small size and low population. But I'm a West Coast gal with a mission: find a car from every state!
  • being prepared to show your military ID if you are a service member, or your civilian ID and guest pass. I have my official JBLM guest pass so I get to hear this when I come on base "Welcome to JBLM ma'am." Sweet!
I haven't explored the entire base yet, but I am familiar mostly with JBLM North. You may want to know what the difference is between JBLM North and JBLM Main, right?

Thanks to: http://www.mcchordairmuseum.org/REV%20B%20OUR%20HISTORY%20%20Joint%20Base%20Lewis%20McChord%20-%20JBLM.htm
 The thick red line is I-5. The part of the base (which is in green) North of the red line is known at JBLM North. The remaining area in green is JBLM Main. Exit 120 W takes you to JBLM North and 120 E takes you to JBLM Main. Like I said earlier, if you for some reason get off at exit 120 and JBLM means nothing to you, just get back on the freeway.

No comments:

Post a Comment