Saturday, August 10, 2013

Haystack Rock, Oregon

Haystack Rock. For some, the name may mean nothing at all while the picture says it all. Let's see which reader you are.

It was an early morning start on 7/15/13, leaving Tacoma, heading south through Olympia, which called for a gym stop at LA Fitness and a coffee stop at Dutch Bros Coffee, one of the numerous coffee stands in the state of WA.



The Annihalator was my choice of the morning. 

Cute Cup!

After business in Olympia was done, it was time to keep trekking South on the 101, the more scenic route (no matter where you are on the West Coast, the 101 is the scenic route.)
I drove through a city too familiar to me - Aberdeen! And I got to meet a new city - Cosmo.




Some deer that are stuck inside the fence. 
It's about a three and a half hour drive to Haystack Rock in Oregon Beach, OR. What does that mean? More nature to take in!



It looks like sturdy grass, but there's a large chance of sinking, as it's water mixed with sand and dirt. That's the Pacific Ocean off in the distance. 

Columbia River coming into view. 


I'll be taking that bridge shortly, passing over the Columbia River in Oregon. 

Panorama shot at the vista point. 

View from the vista point in WA. Across the water is OR.


The bridge (named Astoria-Megler) and I. The bridge is the longest continuing truss bridge in North America. A truss is merely the triangular structure you see (visible when you are closer) that composes the bridge.  

Astoria-Megler bridge - truss bridge. 


I'm in Oregon! Can you read the sign? It says "Lewis & Clark Trail." Awesome. 

Once I finally made it to Haystack Rock, which is in the city of Canon Beach, also known as the city of Ecola, I couldn't have picked a better place to have a bowl of chowda: Ecola Seafoods Restaurant.


Clam chowda bowl with delicious fish n chips. 




I is very happy. 
Fun fact about the name ship:



OK, with my belly full, I was now prepared to take in Haystack Rock.

Ta-Da!

Getting ready for the sand. 

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZING H20!!!!!

HR & I.
I'm so small...watch me as I walk in front of HR:




Haaaaaaayyyyy......stack!


View to the North. Ladies and gents, this is the Oregon coast!
Alright, I came, I saw, I took pictures. Time to move along. The town of Ecola has no chains. It simply refuses to let in businesses such as Wal-Mart, McDonalds, Starbucks and the like. It really wants to keep the small town feel. And I have to say Ecola was successful. I found a huge candy store and ice cream shop that had one very unique flavor: HUCKLEBERRY! My, oh my, was that berry sure deeeeeeeelish! I tried to find huckleberry later on during my Pacific Northwest trip. Unfortunately, only Canon Beach provided this experience to me. If you ever have the chance to try Huckleberry ice cream, please don't say no.

Huckleberry on top, blackberry on bottom.
Thanks Haystack Rock for a lunch I will never forget. Alas, it was time to head back. This time I discovered a winding highway, which would have been perfect to experience by motorcycle. For this time, a car would do just fine. Trust me, it was a fun ride.


You can slightly see the hills and turns of this new road.  

That's not something you see in SoCal. 


Taking those turns like a boss. 
I went on a different bridge to get back to WA. 
Goodbye OR, until we meet again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment